Mayor Steve Chirico recently presented his State of the City address to the Naperville Area Chamber of Commerce. In two words, everything sounds ‘hunky dory’ in family-friendly Naperville, almost as good as Mayberry. Are things really that good, or are we hearing only what city officials want us to hear. Wouldn’t it be refreshing to hear the real story.
It seems like everything we are hearing from everybody is either better than it actually is, or it’s worse than what we hear. It’s as if the powers-to-be are assessing the situations in narratives they want us to believe, rather than the way it really is. Apparently authorities think we can’t handle the truth and maybe they’re right.
There must be things happening in Naperville that city officials would rather not tell us.. What would happen if the mayor would have sprinkled some not-so-good news into his annual message. Things such as:
- How many law suits against the city are pending?
- What keeps the mayor up late at night?
- How many, if any, city workers and staff got fired for screwing something up?
- What is the worst decision the council made last year?
- Who are the real idiots on the city council?
- What is stopping the City from being better than it actually is?
- What actually happens in closed-door meetings?
- Does anybody really listen to public forum speakers during council meetings?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how happy are council members when there are no public forum speakers?
- How long does it take you to work up the courage to listen to your voice mails every morning?
Inquiring minds would like to know. We can handle the truth….I think