Now we’re not talking about the computing term GUI, pronounced gooey ( graphical user interface) which allows users to interact with electronic devices. We are talking about something more nefarious and troublesome for residents of Naperville, the state of Illinois, and our country in general. We are talking about government gone wild, or ‘Governing Under the Influence’ (GUI).
The Naperville city council appears incapable of saying ‘no’ to spending, and thereby ‘yes’ to just about every expense they encounter. The Department of Energy (DOE) ‘bought’ the Naperville city council with the offer of millions of dollars towards the forced installation of Smart Meters on homes and businesses in Naperville, if the city spent millions of tax dollars on the same, and having it done within a short, reckless period of time. In essence the Naperville city council became a gaggle of puppets for the DOE.
This is the same Department of Energy that was created in 1977 to lessen our dependence on foreign oil. It has ballooned to 20,000 employees with a budget of $34 billion a year and we import more oil than ever before. They had 36 years to get it right and it is an abysmal failure. And the Naperville city council allows themselves to be played like puppets in exchange for a ‘handout’. This is why 99% of politicians give the other 1% a bad name.
Now the Naperville city council is doing the same thing, this time with the State of Illinois throwing millions of tax payer dollars (that they don’t have) towards a recycling center in Naperville. The state of Illinois is broke, and the council is falling all over themselves grabbing this monopoly money.
During the last two Naperville city council meetings, the council has had to vote on 16 expense items totaling over $32 million. Every expenditure was approved. In fact, out of a possible 144 council member votes (16 items X 9 council members), there was only one (1) ‘no’ vote on spending, and that was by councilman Doug Krause. The other 143 votes approved spending. Of the 144 individual council member votes, only 11 times did a council member even question an expenditure; four by Krause, three by Chirico, two by Hinterlong, and one each by Wehrli and Wentz. Not once did council members Brodhead, Fieseler, McElroy, or Pradel even question an expenditure.
That is appalling. If those Naperville council members managed their personal businesses, and households like they manage tax payer expenses, they themselves would be equal to the State of Illinois finances, and the Department of Energy. If they don’t question expenditures, or vote against spending, then the residents of Naperville can vote against those council members during the next city council election. Until that time, we need an ordinance against GUI.